OFO No: 221202
Other names for Cardiologist:
- Cardiac Imaging Fellow
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon
What is a Cardiologist?
A Cardiologist is a specialised doctor who diagnoses and treats ailments of the heart.
What does a Cardiologist do?
- examines patient
- performs various tests using specialised equipment
- diagnoses the problem or disease
- discusses various treatment options with the patient
- prepares for surgery
- discusses operation procedure with the surgical team
- performs surgery
- performs transplants where necessary
- keeps up to date records
- attends conferences
Are you . . . ?
- highly intelligent?
- good with your hands?
- detail orientated?
- a team player?
- willing to continue learning throughout your career?
How do I become a Cardiologist?
Become a Medical Doctor: CLICK HERE
Masters in Medicine (Cardio-Thoracic Surgery)
- University of Cape Tow
- University of KZN
- University of the Free State
- University of the Witwatersrand
Designation: Only those registered with the HPCSA may use the title Cardiologist.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
Is becoming a Cardiologist the right career choice for me?