OFO No: 325901
Youtube clip – The Career of a Chiropractor
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Chiropractor?
A Chiropractor is an alternative health care professional.
They can diagnose and treat patients with neuro-muscular health problems. They carefully manipulate (move) the bones and muscles with their hands to help the patient.
Sometimes Chiropractors also perform acupuncture and ultra-sound.
They DO NOT prescribe medicines or perform surgery.
What does a Chiropractor do?
- examines patients
- records medical history of patient (including diseases/diets/exercise routines etc)
- examines and analyse x-rays
- manually manipulates or adjusts various parts of the body and spinal column
Are you . . . ?
- able to work with people of all ages?
- good with your hands?
- interested in science and biology?
How do I become a Chiropractor?
There are 2 school of Chiropractic in South Africa.
Both institutions offer a 6 year course consisting of 2 years of basic sciences followed by 4 years specialising in chiropractic. The final qualification will be an MTech or Masters of Technology in Chiropractic.
- Durban University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- CHIROPRACTIC ASSOCIATION of SA: (CASA)
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
Is becoming a Chiropractor the right career choice for me?