OFO No: 541202
What is a Dog Handler?
A Dog Handler is a trained police officer who together with their dog, help to prevent and investigate crimes.
What does a Dog Handler do?
- looks after their dog (grooms and feeds)
- maintains order
- enforces the law
- investigates crimes
- patrols public areas and communities
- arrests criminals
Are you … ?
- allergic to dog hair? – if yes, this will not be a good job for you.
- love dogs?
- interested in crime?
- emotionally strong?
- fit and healthy?
- able to see and deal with violent crime scenes?
- a person with an eye for detail?
- a team player?
How do I become a Dog Handler?
- You must be a SA citizen
- You must be medically fit
Basic South African Police Service entry requirements and Completed Basic Police Training.
It is recommended that the Dog Handler has a minimum 2 years experience in uniform duties, be physically fit and healthy, not be allergic to animal hair and has good motor and observation skills.
Is becoming a Dog Handler the right career choice for me?