A Mail/Post Sorter works at a postal office and separates incoming mail by address, either manually or by machine.
As a Mail/Post Sorter you will prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. The mail for any particular route will be tied up in bundles and handed to the Postman/Postwoman for delivery on their route.
The Mail/Post Sorter loads, operates and occasionally adjusts and repairs mail sorting machinery.
They keep records of shipments, pouches and sacks and other duties related to mail handling within the postal service.
- sorting mail into area-bundles for the postman/postwoman
- accepting and checking in mail from couriers
- ensuring mail is sent to accurate destinations
- making sure sufficient postage is on letters
- separating packages with special handling
- someone with good hand-eye coordination?
- strong enough to lift heavy packages and bins with letters?
- a quick reader?
- able to meet deadlines?
- SOUTH AFRICA POSTAL SERVICE:
To become a Mail/Post Sorter -you will be trained on-the-job.