What is a Dispensing Optician?
An eye-catching career!
Dispensing Opticians are health care professionals who design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to prescriptions from ophthalmologists and optometrists.
Dispensing Opticians assist in helping the client choose frames that are compatible with the client’s visual and lifestyle needs.
Once a client has picked the frames, the Dispensing Optician prepares a work order and sends it to a laboratory.
After the lenses are made and fitted into the frames, the Dispensing Optician makes sure that the final product meets the specifications.
Some Dispensing Opticians are qualified to grind and polish lenses, if so needed.
What does a Dispensing Optician do?
- reads and interprets optical prescriptions
- advises and guides clients in choosing appropriate lens type, frames and styling
- takes frame and facial measurements
- prepares work orders with instructions
- shapes prescriptive frames to fit client
- maintains client records
- does basic bookkeeping
- arranges shop displays
- supervises staff
Are you … ?
- interested in eye-care and eye-wear?
- good with people?
- interested in style trends?
- someone who likes working with your hands?
- interested at sales and marketing?
- a good communicator?
How do I become a Dispensing Optician?
You will need to complete a 3 year National Diploma: Optical Dispensing
- CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
This is the only institution that you can study this in – in South Africa
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HPSCA: HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA
Is becoming an Optical Mechanic the right career choice for me?