OFO No: 263504
Other names for Rehabilitation Counsellor:
- Life Coach
Youtube clipe – A Rehabilitation Counsellor’s Career
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Rehabilitation Counsellor?
A Rehabilitation Counsellor provides support and counselling to those people or groups who are physically, mentally or socially challenged and try to help them fit into society: (home, work and community).
What does a Rehabilitation Counsellor do?
- meets and interviews individual, families or groups of people
- analyses this information
- designs programmes to help them reach their goals
- monitors success of programmes
- keeps in contact with healthcare professionals, teachers, community leaders etc
- keeps detailed records
Are you . . . ?
- caring and understanding?
- passionate about helping people?
- a hard worker?
- a person with a positive attitude?
- a motivator?
- a good communicator?
- a good listener?
How do I become a Rehabilitation Counsellor?
You will need a qualification.
- A Bachelor’s degree / honours with a major in Psychology
- This can be done at most universities.
- A Bachelor’s of Psychology degree (Rehabilitation Counsellor)
- Followed by an internship in related field
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- University of Pretoria
- Stellenbosch University
- University of Venda
- University of the Western Cape
- Walter Sisulu University
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA (HPCSA)
To practice as a Counsellor, you must be registered with the HPCSA.
Is becoming a Rehabilitation Counsellor the right career choice for me?