OFO No: 265204
Other names for Singer:
- Concert Singer
- Ensemble Singer
- Opera Singer
- Street Musician
- Street Singer
Youtube clip: 20 Greatest Singers of All Time!
What is a Singer?
Have you thought about entering ‘Idols’? Are you that good? If you are, then becoming a Singer may just be the right career choice for you.
There are many different kinds of Singers:
- Solo Singer (jazz, rock, classical etc)
- Singer in a band
- Opera Singer (soprano, contralto, bass, baritone or tenor)
- Musical Theatre Singer (live shows/television/movies)
- Choir and Capella group singing
- Club/Bar Singers
- Singing Teacher (voice coach) etc
- make recordings or go on concert tours while others perform in operas, musicals or appear as concert soloists.
- play a musical instrument like a guitar etc.
- are singer-songwriters writing their own material or writing material for other Singers/Groups
What does a Singer do?
- practices vocal exercises to keep voice in good shape
- rehearses, rehearses, rehearses!
- learns new lyrics and music
- tries on costumes/clothes for show
- meets clients/band members/show directors etc
- is always punctual
- keeps healthy to maintain strength for shows
Are you … ?
- passionate, can’t-live-without singing kind of person?
- an extremely good singer?
- a performer?
- a person with stage presence?
- willing to work long and unusual hours?
- fit and healthy?
- a person with a good memory?
- a hard worker?
How do I become a Singer?
Start singing at school or in your local community. Sing in your church choir. Grab every opportunity to sing and to practice your voice. Maybe at one of these sessions you will be noticed and given a solo piece to perform. This will build your confidence.
If you would like to pursue it, you could join a theatrical society and sing in theatres or become a backup singer to someone who is already well known. If you’re really good, you could venture into singing at parties, weddings, corporate functions, clubs etc.
Obviously training would assist you perfect your voice.
Certificate in Music
- University of Cape Town – UCT
- University of Stellenbosch
Diploma in Music
National Diploma in Music
Bachelor of Technology in Music (BTech)
- Tshwane University of Technology
Bachelor degree in Music
- Offered at some universities like UCT
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Here are a few options:
- TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
3 year National Diploma in Pedagogy (Vocal Art) and a BTech at
- LEGACY SCHOOL OF MUSIC AND VOCAL TUITION
- UNIVERSITY OF KWA ZULU NATAL
Diploma in Music Performance: Opera Studies
Diploma in Music Performance: Choral Studies
- CAMPUS OF PERFORMING ARTS: COPA
Is becoming a Singer the right career choice for me?