How to change your subjects in GRADE 10, 11 or 12
You CAN change a certain number of subjects, depending on the rules for public schools. (Please double check with your Province’s Education Department.)
- A learner can change 2 subjects in GRADE 10 and 11. This will be managed by your school. The closing date: 31st July.
- In exceptional cases a learner can change ONE subject in GRADE 12 if the school think it’s in the best interests of the learner. The school may only take this decision after consulting with the Head of Department. The closing date: 30 January for the subject change for GRADE 12 learners.
What must I do to change my subjects?
You must submit the following:
- a letter of motivation from a parent or your guardian
- a letter from your Principal either supporting, or providing reasons for not supporting, your change
- a letter from the subject teacher explaining the programme to be followed to help the learner to cover all the aspects of the curriculum statement for the previous grades that were missed
3 Things to consider before you change your subjects:
- Think about what you want to do as a career. Make sure your subject choices support this career rather than just choosing something that may be easier. Your decision will affect your future, so think carefully.
- The later you leave it – the harder you’ll have to work to catch up the new subject/s.
- By studying something you love, you’ll be more motivated to do well.
‘Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.’ – Nelson Mandela