SA’s Merseta’s description of Spray Painter
Meet a Jordan Atkins, 2014 World Skills Spray Painter
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is an Automotive Spray Painter?
Automotive Spray Painters can also be known as Vehicle Spray Painters or just Spray Painters.
Vehicle Spray Painters spray paint the bodywork of vehicles from small passenger cars to large trucks.
They use specialised spray guns and they usually work in a spray booth. A spray booth is an enclosed, dust-free area. This is very important as the smallest dust particle will leave a bubble-like mark in the paint when it dries.
Vehicle Spray Painters may work on new vehicles on a production line or for a coachworks / panelbeating company where they will re-spray the ‘new’ area or the whole car after the panelbeaters have finished their work.
What does an Automotive Spray Painter do?
- works alongside panelbeaters
- mixes paints until the exact colour is matched
- removes dirt, dust or grease before spraypainting
- makes sure metal is completely smooth before commencing
- covers / masks areas that are not going to be spray painted
- applies 4 to 5 coats of required colour evenly
- allows paint to dry between coats
Are you …?
- passionate about cars?
- interested in spray painting?
- a perfectionist?
- detail orientated?
How do I become an Automotive Spray Painter?
Most Further Education and Training Colleges (FET or TVET) may offer programmes for specific Trade or Skills set such as automotive spray painting.
We advise contacting these institutions directly.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- FALSE BAY COLLEGE
- AUTOMOTIVE TRAINING ACADEMY
Offers Paint Shop Training – all aspects related to spray painting
- SAQA (SOUTH AFRICAN QUALIFICATIONS AUTHORITY)
Approved and accredited MerSETA training companies:
Type your trade choice in and click on FIND.
Is becoming an Automotive Spray Painter the right career choice for me?