OFO No: 242203
Other names for Company Secretary:
- Board Secretary
What is a Company Secretary?
A Company Secretary is not a normal secretary. A Company Secretary forms an important link between the different departments, the directors and shareholders in that company.
He/she is in charge of managing all the information systems.
A Company Secretary’s job and responsibilities can vary from one company to another.
What does a Company Secretary do?
- is involved in all aspects of the company
- makes sure all financial records are stored safely
- creates and maintains information systems
- updates register of board members and other company records
- researches and prepares documents for board and other meetings
- attends board meetings and takes the minutes
- on occasion, he/she will have to present information at the meetings
- controls staff
- handles company contracts and insurances etc
Are you . . . ?
- interested in business?
- detail orientated?
- a good time manager?
- logical thinker?
- a very good communicator (speak, write and read)?
- able to handle pressure?
How do I become a Company Secretary?
There are a number of ways of becoming a Company Secretary.
Some Company Secretaries have worked their way up through the company – from receptionist to secretary to PA to Company Secretary. It could take longer but hard work, experience and skills will get you there in the end.
Some Company Secretaries study a National Diploma in Administrative Management, Business Administration, Accountancy, Cost and Management Accountancy, Management or any other business related course.
Some Company Secretaries study a BA or BCom Degree in Law, Economy, Accountancy or any business course. A BAdmin degree could also be considered.
Some Company Secretaries go this route.
- CHARTERED SECRETARIES OF SOUTHERN AFRICA
Many Company Secretaries start off in admin and then study appropriate courses necessary for the to advance to Company Secretary in that company.
CIS Professional Qualification for Company Secretarial Practice
Diploma in Administrative Management (Company secretary)
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Walater Sisulu University
Bachelor of Administration
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Company Secretary the right career choice for me?