OFO No: 264201
Other names for Copywriter:
What is a Copywriter?
The job of a Copywriter is to create words, slogans, tag lines or scripts to promote a person, business, opinion or idea.
Their work is read in various marketing materials, sales letters, on postcards, brochures, flyers, posters, billboards, in email advertisements, on internet sites, in catalogues, in television or radio commercials, press releases and other marketing items.
Sometimes, Copywriters are expected to write the ‘body’ content for a brochure, document or other promotional items.
Copywriters usually work alongside an art director or in a creative department/agency. They work closely with the client’s brief and the creative team to produce effective advertising campaigns.
What does a Copywriter do?
- discusses with clients/advertising agencies their requirements and understands their brief
- researches client’s target market, company profile/image and their competitors
- creates ideas and concepts and presents to clients
- writes clear, original copy
- checks for spelling and grammar errors
- amends or updates copy in response to feedback from art director/client
- monitors and records the effectiveness of the advertising campaign
- keeps up to date with popular culture and trends
Are you … ?
- a person who loves creative writing?
- a quick and out-the-box thinker?
- excellent at communication both written and spoken?
- good at concentrating?
- a team player?
- a person with a good, all-round general knowledge?
- computer literate?
- able to work long hours?
- good under stress?
- deadline committed?
- quality driven?
How do I become a Copywriter?
A Copywriter does not need training but they do need a bucket load of talent and be particularly adept at creative writing.
A qualification in copywriting, journalism or linguistics will help you jump ahead of the rest and it may assist you in getting employment.
Here are a few examples:
- AAA SCHOOL OF ADVERTISING: (Cape Town and Johannesburg)
Offers part-time copywriting courses
- SA WRITERS’ COLLEGE: (Cape Town)
Basic writing and computer skills. Be able to email and have connection to the internet.
- UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU NATAL
Offers a Diploma in Copywriting
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Copywriter the right career choice for me?