OFO No: 413 201
Other names for Data Entry Operator:
- Computer Clerk
- Data Capturer
- Data Compiler / Enterer / Officer / Operator
- Data Control / Input Clerk
- Data Processing Operator
- Data Specifier / Programmer / Cati Specialist
- Electronic Data Processor (EDP)
- Flexowriter Printer
- Internal Affairs Computing Officer
- Punched Card Machine Operator
- Visual Display Unit Operator
What is a Data Entry Operator?
Calling guys and girls – A Data Entry Operater is a Data Capturer. Their main task is to enter information (data) onto the computer. The important information needs to be captured accurately and then stored on the company’s database. A Data Entry Operator needs to touch type accurately and quickly.
A Data Entry Operator needs to touch type accurately and quickly.
What does a Data Entry Operator do?
- enters number data, codes and text from original material into the computer for storage
- receives invoices, forms, records and other documents for data capturing
- imports and exports data between different databases
- operates bookkeeping and calculating equipment
- checks accuracy of data and corrects incorrect data when required
Are you . . . ?
- a good touch typist?
- an accurate worker?
- a person with an eye for detail?
- a person who takes pride in their work?
- able to handle pressure and deadlines?
How do I become a Data Entry Operator?
A Data Entry Operator (Data Capturer) needs to have good typing skills. You can either learn to type at school, teach yourself or go to a college to learn. Anyone can learn to type and it’s a very good skill to have considering a lot of work is done on a computer.
Check with your local college or institution to see what they offer. You might even consider studying a secretarial type course. The more skills you have, the more employable you are.
Data capturing is an entry level job in the admin or accounting department. It’s your step in the door. If you have extra time on your hands, ask for more responsible work! If you show initiative, hard work and determination the company may see your ambition and send you on training programmes.
You may start off as a Data Entry Operator but over time, with skills and experience – you might end up being the Office Supervisor or even Manager. That’s up to you!
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Data Entry Operator the right career choice for me?