OFO No: 432102
Other names for Dispatch or Receiving Clerk:
Carton and Label Controller
Dispatch Clerk / Officer / Operator / Assistant /
Freight Clerk / Agent
Goods Receiving Clerk
Inwards Goods Clerk
Packed Fresh Produce Dispatch Clerk
Shipping and Receiving Clerk
What is a Dispatch / Receiving Clerk?
A Dispatch or Receiving Clerk usually works in a warehouse or in a distribution centre or even in a large retail store. This is usually a very busy, responsible job.
The main jobs of a Dispatch / Receiving Clerk is to check the following:
- correct goods are delivered or dispatched
- correct quantities are delivered or dispatched
- goods are in perfect order (not damaged)
- pack goods in the correct places
- keep strict records of all the goods
What does a Dispatch / Receiving Clerk do?
- assists with the loading and unloading of good
- operates a forklift
- removes packaging material or packs up goods carefully
- checks that quantities are correct
- check that the right goods get packed or unloaded
- deals with damaged or missing goods
- keeps strict records
Are you . . . ?
- fit and healthy?
- an accurate worker?
- detail orientated?
- a team player?
How do I become a Dispatch / Receiving Clerk?
Most Dispatch / Receiving Clerks need a Grade 12 or Matric with number skills (maths). Some Dispatch / Receiving Clerks may need a Forklift license. Some companies may help you to achieve this.
Experience as a Picker/Packer or Cashier may be advantageous.
Once you’re working in the warehouse, it’s up to you to collect skills and experience. You might even think of studying further.
Maybe one day, if you work hard enough, you’ll be the Warehouse Manager!
Is becoming a Dispatch or Receiving Clerk the right career choice for me?