OFO No: 531102
Other names for Family Day Care Worker:
- Family Day Carer
Youtube clip – Child Care Career
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Family Day Care Worker?
A Family Day Care Worker works in a day care centre or at home. They provide care and supervision for babies and children while the parents are at work.
What does a Family Day Care Worker do?
- washes, dresses and feeds children
- takes children to and from school
- plays games with children
- reads to children
- helps children with their social development
- teaches children manners and good behaviour
- disciplines children
- teaches children to pack away toys etc
- monitors children all the time
- makes sure children are safe at all times
- helps children who sustain an injury (put a plaster on it)
- gives children medicine when required
- phones parents in an emergency
- keeps records
Are you . . . ?
- passionate about working with children?
- patient and kind?
- enthusiastic and positive?
- a person with a good sense of humour?
- extremely reliable and responsible?
- calm is a crisis?
How do I become a Family Day Care Worker?
- You do not need a qualification but a bucket load of passion and kindness to do this job. You could start off as an assistant or helper in a crèche or day care centre and work yourself all the way to the top and open your own day care centre one day!
- Study to become a Child Care Worker
- Study a Home-Care Practices Certificate
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Family Day Care Worker the right career choice for me?