I want to be an Engineer

Engineers use science, mathematics and technology to solve practical problems.

There are four main areas of work

  • Chemical. This includes using physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering principles to work in manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, design and construction, pulp and paper, petrochemicals, food processing, specialty chemicals, microelectronics, electronic and advanced materials, polymers, business services, biotechnology, and environmental health and safety industries, among others.
  • Civil. This includes design and construction of public and private works (airports, roads, railways, water supply and treatment etc.), bridges, dams, and buildings.
  • Electrical. This includes design and study of electrical and electronic systems, such as electrical circuits, generators, motors, electromagnetic/ electromechanical devices, electronic devices, electronic circuits, optical fibers, optoelectronic devices, computer systems, telecommunications, instrumentation, controls, and electronics.
  • Mechanical. This includes design of physical or mechanical systems, such as power and energy systems, aerospace/aircraft products, weapon systems, transportation products, engines, compressors, powertrains, kinematic chains, vacuum technology, and vibration isolation equipment.


Artisans and Technicians

Many jobs under Artisan (trades) fall under engineering. These include mechanical jobs such as auto mechanic, aircraft maintenance, air-conditioning & refrigeration, electrical technician etc. It also includes jobs like millwright, mechatronics technician etc.

To find the various artisan careers which fall under Engineering, go here:

Artisan & Technician Job Descriptions

Training is usually at TVET colleges or Universities of Technology. Candidates will need maths and/or physical science with at least 60% pass in those subjects and in English.

Training includes theory as well as practical tuition and in most cases they will complete an apprenticeship, get work experience and then take a Trade Test to qualify.

Technologists and Engineers

To see the job descriptions go here:

Technologist & Engineer Job Descriptions

Those wanting to study degrees at university need a minimum of 60% in Maths and Science and English with good marks in other subjects as well. They can either go to a

  • University of Technology where they start off with a Diploma and can advance to a Bachelor of Technology and go on to an Honours and Masters of Technology. The training is more practical than at an academic university. They are Technologists.


  • University where they start off by completing a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, then specializing. They can continue with an Honours and then Masters Degree and are then called Engineers.

To find your closest institution please go here: