Please read this job description of PalaeontologIst, which includes where you could study and the MINIMUM requirements at various universities AS AT 2015.
EVERY TERTIARY INSTITUTION HAS DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS
Please read this article:
To find out what these requirements are at individual institutions please go here:
1. Select the institution of your choice: University, University of Technology, FET etc.
2. Select your Province of choice
3. Click on the institution on the right
4. Copy the url (the part that starts with http:) and paste into your browser.
5. When you get to the Institution’s web page, read the requirements carefully
6. Read and follow the application process completely.
In terms of demand, it is not as sought after as Engineering or Accounting for example, but the recent breakthrough discovery of Homo Naledi in South Africa, has seen great international interest and investment so the chances have improved. For example National Geographic immediately supported the entire very expensive research.
Research into this and related stories and talking to lecturers at the universities, as well as visits to sites.