OFO No: 263503
Other names for Marriage & Family Counsellor:
- Family Court Counsellor
- Family Mediator
- Family Therapist
What is a Marriage & Family Counsellor?
A Marriage & Family Counsellor provides counselling and support to individuals, couples, families etc who are having relationship problems.
What does a Marriage & Family Counsellor do?
- meets and interviews individual, couple or family
- analyses this information
- designs programmes to help them reach their goals
- monitors success of programmes
- keeps in contact with healthcare professionals, teachers, community leaders etc
- investigates any abuse that might be occuring
- keeps detailed records
Are you . . . ?
- caring and understanding?
- passionate about helping people?
- a hard worker?
- a person with a positive attitude?
- a motivator?
- a good communicator?
- a good listener?
How do I become a Marriage & Family Counsellor?
You will need a qualification.
- Bachelor’s degree / Honours with a major in Psychology
- Bachelors of Psychology degree with an internship in marriage & family counselling
- Study to become a Social Worker plus workplace experience in marriage & family counselling
- Study an Honours or 4 year degree in a related field and then gather work experience in the marriage & family counselling environment. You could also do a postgraduate qualification in Marriage & Family Counselling.
- University of the Western Cape
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA (HPCSA)
To practice as a Counsellor, you must be registered with the HPCSA.
Is becoming a Marriage & Family Counsellor the right career choice for me?