OFO No: 334101
Other names for Office Supervisor:
- Clerical Supervisor
- Data Entry Supervisor
- Filing Clerks Supervisor
- Personnel Clerks Supervisor
What is an Office Supervisor?
An Office Supervisor is responsible for managing office staff as well as making sure the office is running efficiently and effectively.
Office Supervisors often work in medium or large companies and usually in the administrative department.
Office Supervisors must know and understand all the functions of the department.
Depending on the size of the company, Office Supervisors may be responsible for bookkeeping or accounting tasks. They may also play the role of receptionist or secretary.
What does an Office Supervisor do?
- manages staff
- handles requests for staff leave etc
- creates schedules
- hires new staff
- trains staff
- orders office supplies etc
- assists management
- attends meetings
Are you . . . ?
- organised and a good organiser?
- good with time management?
- a good multi-tasker?
- a good motivator?
- a people’s person?
- a team player?
- a good communicator?
- a person with good leadership qualities?
How do I become an Office Supervisor?
An Officer Supervisor is a more senior position in the admin department.
If you show enough initiative, hard work and gain more skills and experience, you can work yourself up to becoming an Office Supervisor. Your ambition will dictate if this is your career path or not.
Courses to consider are Certificates or National Diplomas:
Basic computer skills, secretarial skills, receptionist skills, office management or office assistant skills, basic bookkeeping etc are worth considering.
A lot of TVET (FET) colleges and other training institutions will offer these courses both full and part-time.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming an Office Supervisor the right career choice for me?