OFO No: 651403
Other names for Steel Fixer:
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Placer
- Metal Plate Bender
- Reinforcing Iron Worker Construction
- Steel Bender
Youtube clip – Merseta’s – Steel Fixer
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Steel Fixer?
A Steel Fixer works on construction sites.
These construction sites could be:
- tunnels etc
Steel Fixers position and secure steel bars and steel mesh in concrete to re-inforce the concrete structures. Their job is very important because without the steel, the buildings / structures would fall down.
What does a Steel Fixer do?
- reads architectural plans
- sets out work
- cuts, shapes and bends steel pipes or mesh to measure
- aligns the steel in exactly the right place
- makes sure steel is firmly in place by welding or clipping etc
- meets deadlines so that concrete can be poured on time
Are you . . . ?
- fit, strong and healthy?
- interested in working in construction?
- NOT afraid of heights?
- a team player?
- responsible and reliable?
- a person with good vision?
- safety conscious?
How do I become a Steel Fixer?
- Most companies will train their workers themselves to match their own requirements
- National Certificate: Iron & Steel – N1, N2 and N3
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Steel Fixer the right career choice for me?