Job description: Contact existing and prospective customers, using the telephone or other electronic communications media, to promote goods and services, obtain sales and arrange sales visits.
- Working from scripts and lists of contacts to promote goods and services by telephone in order to persuade potential customers to purchase products or services or to make donations to charitable causes.
- Obtaining customer information such as name, address and payment method, and entering orders or commitments into computers.
- Creating interest in goods and services, and seeking a sale or an agreement by the potential customer to meet with sales representatives.
- Arranging appointments for sales representatives to meet with potential customers.
- Arranging the processing and despatch of purchased goods and services, information kits and brochures to customers.
- Maintaining statistics of calls made and successes achieved and submitting periodic reports on telemarketing activities and results.
(Occupation Code : 524401)
Other names for this job:
Telephone Sales Person
Contact Centre Agent (Interactive and Direct Marke
Customer Contact Centre Salesperson
You don’t need any formal schooling or formal qualifications to enter this occupation. However, employers may set their own entry requirements when they recruit people for positions in this occupation.
The great part about this career is that you can get excellent in-service training in the workplace – free of charge!
- 1. IN-SERVICE TRAINING
Employers are likely to provide a structured in-house training programme and/or peer on-the-job training and mentoring.
A learnership is a structured learning programme, consisting of theoretical and practical components, that leads to a qualification. In order to enter a learnership you need an employer.
- Learnership: General Education and Training Certificate (GETC)
- Learnership – Contact Centre Support Level 2 (23Q230021)
- Learnership – Contact Centre and BPO Support Level 3 (ContCenr&)
- Learnership – Contact Centre Operations NQF Level 4 (23Q230022)
A General Education and Training Certificate (GETC) or a Grade 9 certificate issued by a school OR an Adult Education and Training (ABET) NQF Level 1 certificate OR a recognised equivalent qualification obtained at NQF Level 1 are required to enter this learning pathway