Branches in Engineering:
There are many branches of Engineering – for example:
- Agricultural and Topographical Engineering
- Building and Construction
- Chemical and Power Generation Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Civil, Geological and Geographical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering and Town Planning
- Installation, Maintenance and Repair
- IT & Telecommunications Engineering
- Marine and Aeronautical Engineering
- Mechanical & Automotive Engineering
- Metal Engineering and Tool Making
- Mining and Petro-Chemical Extraction
The path from school to TVET …
or … University of Technology … or … University:
- Every institution has their OWN requirements.
- Avoid disappointment – Make sure you understand your institution’s requirements.
- The marks below are MINIMUM marks – i.e. To give yourself the best chance, you should aim much higher! 🙂
- 3 = 40%
- 4 = 50%
- 5 = 60%
- 6 = 70%
- 7 = 80-100%
All your marks will count – this is called APS (Academic Point Score) and different Universities have different ways of calculating the required entry level.
- Learners can start taking subjects at school for entry at higher education:
- REQUIRED: Maths (M) – not Maths Literacy (ML), Physical Science (PS)
- RECOMMENDED: Civil Technology (CIVT), Electrical Technology (ELECT), Mechanical Technology (MECHT), Engineering Graphics (EGD)
- Or if the school does not offer these subjects Computer ApplicationsTechnology (CAT), Information Technology (IT), Agricultural Technology (AT) Accounting (ATT)
(Example: College of Cape Town)
- Students can start Engineering studies at TVET (FET) Level
- National Certificates: N1 – N3: Required: Grade 9-12, Maths (M)
- National N-Diploma: N4 – N6 Certificates: Required: Grade 10 (N3 Certificate), Mathematics (M), Science PS), Recommended: Electrical Technology (ELECT), English (E).
- National Certificate (Vocational): Electrical Infrastructure Construction – Level 2 – 4: Required: Grade 10 (N3 Certificate), Mathematics (M), Science PS), Recommended: Electrical Technology (ELECT), English (E)
UNIVERSITY of TECHNOLOGY:
(Example: University of the Western Cape)
Students can start at University of Technology Level
- Civil & Marine: Required: E4, M4, PS4
- Electrical: Required: E4, M4, and either PS4 or ELECT4. Recommended: IT4, or CAT4
- Industrial & Mechanical: Required: E4, M4, Ps4. Recommended: Mecht3
- Mechatronics: Required: E4, M4, Ps4. Recommended: One of the following: Elect3, IT4, Mecht3:
(Example: University of Johannesburg)
Students can start at University Level – Degrees
Civil, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering:
- Required: APS: 32
- English 5 (60%+)
- Add Language 4 (50%+)
- Maths 5 (60%+)
- LO 5 (60%+)
- Physical Science 5 (60%+)
- Add subject 5 (60%+), Add subject 5 (60%+)
- EVERY tertiary institution has different requirements
- Please read this article on our website
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Select the institution of your choice: University, University of Technology, FET etc.
- Select your province of choice
- Click on the institution on the right
- Copy the url (the part that starts with http:) and paste into your browser
- Read the requirements carefully
- Read and follow the application process perfectly
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.