OFO No: 431101
What is an Accounts Clerk?
If you are someone who loves working with figures – but would prefer not to train further at a univeristy, you could consider becoming an Accounts Clerk. An Accounts Clerk usually helps an accountant.
Accounts Clerks manages creditor and/or debtor accounts.
What does an Accounting Technician do?
- does accounting documentation
- calculates wages
- calculates the cost of materials, overheads and production
- pays accounts
- operates computers programmed with accounting packages
- reports to an accountant or someone senior
Are you … ?
- a person who likes numbers and mathematics?
- computer literate?
How do I become an Accounting Technician?
Entry: Senior Certificate with Mathematics
- Certificate in Accounting – no formal entry requirements.
- Advanced Certificate in Accounting – students normally start at the Certificate Stage, but entry directly to the Advanced Certificate Stage is permitted provided you can satisfy the Association of Accounting Technicians’ entry requirements.
- Diploma in Accounting – students will normally be expected to complete the Certificate and Advanced Certificate stages but entry directly to the Diploma Stage is permitted provided you can satisfy the Association of Accounting Technicians’ entry requirements.
There are 3 main ways to become an Accounting Technician:
(1) TVET (FET) Certificate NQF Level 2 / Grade 10Learnership – Junior Bookkeeper Level 3 which is offered by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB)
(2) Learnership – Accounting Technician Level 3
Requirements: Good maths or numbers skills and be able to communicate in English. All tests are done in English.
(3) Learnership – Local Government Accounting Level 3
This is offered by the Association of Accounting Technicians South Africa (AAT)(SA)
- Grade 10
- Must already be employed in local government
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming an Accounts Clerk the right career choice for me?