OFO No: 321105
What is an Anaesthetic Technician?
An Anaesthetic Technician is a health care professional. They assist Anaesthetists, nurses and surgeons during an operation.
The Anaesthetic Technician prepares all the equipment and supplies that the Anaesthetist will need to sedate and monitor the patient during the operation.
What does an Anaesthetic Technician do?
- discusses upcoming operations with anaesthetist
- prepares supplies and equipment
- assists the anaesthetist to monitor patient’s vital signs and comfort
- assists to administer medication/drugs when required
- makes sure patient to ‘comes round’
Are you . . . ?
- interested in operations?
How do I become an Anaesthetic Technician?
National Diploma in Clinical Technology
Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Clinical Technology
Designation: Only after you have registered with the HPCSA may you use your title Anaesthetic Technician
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
Is becoming an Anaesthetic Technician the right career choice for me?