OFO No: 333901
What is an Auctioneer?
An Auctioneer is in charge of an auction. He/she makes sure that items are sold to the highest bidder.
To achieve this, the Auctioneer shouts out descriptions and bids in an entertaining or humorous way, encouraging people to up their bid.
The more money people bid for an item, the more commission the Auctioneer will receive in return.
Auctioneers usually specialise in a particular field such as real estate, antiques, livestock etc. They generally research their subject a lot so that they can make informed appraisals as well as giving correct information about the items that are up for auction. They will also know all the laws and regulations regarding their particular subject. By working in one or two fields of auctioneering – they become known for it as well as building up a good set of contacts and clients.
Auctions may take place in famous auction houses like Christie’s, Sotheby’s or in private homes, companies, farms and parking lots, etc across the country.
What does an Auctioneer do?
- researches subject matter and items in detail
- convinces clients to sell their goods on auction
- prepares advertising for the auction
- lets old clients and prospective clients know about the auction
- builds new relationships and contacts through networking
- keeps up to date with applicable laws and market trends
- appraises the items to be sold
- prepares for the bid-calling
Are you . . . ?
- a performer?
- a great sales person?
- a person with a strong personality?
- clear, loud and fast speaker?
- willing to travel?
- a quick thinker?
How do I become an Auctioneer?
- THE SOUTH AFRICAN COLLEGE OF AUCTIONEERING: (Gauteng, CT, Bloemfontein & Durban)
This college is the only place in South Africa which regularly offers 4-5 day courses in auctioneering and is a member of The SA Institute of Auctioneers as well as the National Auctioneers Association of America.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- SOUTH AFRICAN INSTITUTE OF AUCTIONEERS
Is becoming an Auctioneer the right choice for me?