What is a Baker?
At the moment, the baking industry faces a critical shortage of skilled labour which impacts on productivity and the bottom line.
These means – that becoming a Baker might ensure you have a job at the end of the day.
A Baker works in a bakery. They bake and sell breads, cakes and similar foods.
The boundary between a Baker and a Pastry Chef have blurred over the past few years, so some Bakers now bake pastries and confectioneries too.
Large bakeries are generally automated so that the role of the Baker has changed to supervising staff who operate the machines and keeps an eye on the whole process.
In smaller bakeries, more work is done by hand by the Baker themselves.
What does a Baker do?
- work from recipes and formulae
- measure ingredients
- make breads, pastries, tarts, pies, cookies, cakes etc
- monitor baking time so that items don’t burn
- manage staff
- order ingredients and keep details of stock
- come up with new products/recipes
- keep up to date with baking techniques and technology
- price items
Are you … ?
- interested in baking?
- a person with a good sense of taste?
- a team player?
- able to read and write? Can you follow a recipe?
- able to do basic mathematics?
- willing to work unusual hours? Some Bakers have to get up really early in the morning.
- slightly creative?
- able to work in a hot environment?
- able to stand for long periods?
- neat and tidy?
- good with your hands and fingers?
- able to do detailed work?
How do I become a Baker?
- ANCHOR BAKERY TRAINING CENTRE: (Johannesburg)
All the skills programmes are registered with the Foodbev SETA; and contribute to the National Certificate in Craft Bread and Flour Confectionery Baking (NQF 2).
In addition to the accredited skills programmes, Anchor also offers courses in Baking Theory (Ingredients and Process – 1 Day) and Practical Bread-faults (2 days).
- THE PRIVATE HOTEL SCHOOL: (Stellenbosch)
Offers 6 month courses: Professional Baking and Pastry
- PRUE LEITH: (Gauteng)
Offers a Diploma in Patisserie (5 Months / Full Time)
- SILWOOD SCHOOL OF COOKERY: (Rondebosch)
Part-time certificate in Patisserie
- THE BAKER: Offers various ways of training to get into this industry
Is becoming a Baker the right career choice for me?
See below for more info.