OFO No: 226905
Other names for Biokineticist:
What is a Biokineticist?
- ‘Biokinetics is defined as the science of movement and the application of exercise in rehabilitative treatment or performance.’ – Biokinetics Association of South Africa
A Biokineticist is a specialist who is recognised by and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa. They work closely with doctors and other medical practitioners.
After detailed, scientific assessments, evaluations and measurements of the patient or individual, a Biokineticist will design exercise programmes to improve the well-being of the person.
What does a Biokineticist do?
- uses scientific methods and instruments to evaluate a patient’s physical condition
- identifies exercise risks in a person
- designs and prescribes safe physical activities or rehabilitation exercise programmes for the patient
- designs routines for preventative health issues or to correct health problems
- designs and implements routines for sport injuries or recovery from illnesses
- designs routines for chronic diseases like obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc
- designs programmes for athletes with regard to their speed and performance
Are you . . . ?
- passionate about sport?
- a person who enjoys working closely with people?
- interested in other people’s well-being?
- able to motivate others?
- patient and empathic?
- a good listener?
How do I become a Biokineticist?
You will need a qualification (degree) to become a Biokineticist.
- BA (Human Movement Science)
- BSc (Sport Science)
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
To find out where to study Biokinetics:
http://www.hpcsa.co.za/PBPhysiotherapy/Education (look under the section BIOKINETICS)
Each university will have their own entry requirements. Check with your university of choice what theirs is.
- BIOKINETICS SA
Is becoming a Biokineticist the right career choice for me?