Youtube clip of body make-up artists in action
What is a Body Make-Up Artist?
Body Make-Up Artists use oils, watercolours and other materials to paint people’s bodies. They use their model’s body as a canvas.
They are usually classified as commercial artists, rather than fine artists, because, in most cases, they do not choose their own theme or subject matter.
Body painting dates back to long ago, for example: Native Americans painted their bodies and horses when preparing for battle.
Today, body painting is done for advertising purposes or used in various kinds of museums.
In wax museums, Body Make-Up Artists are responsible for making a wax statue look like a human being, for example: Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London.
Other areas where Body Make-Up Artists use their skill:
promotions, expos, festivals, trade shows and special events
fashion industry, editorial, film, tv and the music industry
advertising, printed media, advertisements, sponsorships and endorsements
art exhibition work and galleries
corporate events like product launches and team building events
childrens’ entertainment (face-painting)
This is a very difficult field in which to earn a living. However, with proper background and training, most Body Make-Up Artists can supplement their income through graphic design or teaching art. Some work in theatre, doing stage make-up. A head for business would be an added advantage.
What does a Body Make-Up Artist do?
- discusses requirements with client
- draws up designs and sketches
- makes changes if needed
- orders the supplies
- applies the make-up
- touches up any mistakes
Are you … ?
- extremely passionate about art?
- detail orientated?
- 3d aware?
- peoples’ person?
- good with colour and pattern?
- a person with a head for business?
How do I become a Body Make-Up Artist?
There are not a lot of places you can study Body Make-Up but here are a few ideas:
- SOUTH AFRICAN BODY ART ACADEMY
- CITY VARSITY
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Body Make-Up Artist the right career choice for me?