What is a Business Analyst?
Are you a problem solver? Are you interested in computer technology? Are you interested in how business works in general? If you are, then choosing the career path of a Business Analyst might be the right route for you!
The definition of the word ‘business’: A system where goods and services are exchanged for money.
The definition of the word ‘analyst’: A person who collates, examines and researches data to develop programmes and structures to improve the situation.
A Business Analyst therefore accurately defines the needs and problems within a business, corporation or organisation by studying the overall business and information needs of it. They usually work in the IT department and implement computer or technology-based solutions to improve the way the company, government or organisation move forward.
What does a Business Analyst do?
- collects and analyses information supplied by numerous people throughout the company
- tries to determine the actual needs and problems of the company
- maps out possible solutions and presents them clearly and unambiguously
- facilitates communication between departments
- works with the development team
- custom-designs IT solutions based on their research
- tests the design meets the requirements
- attends meetings
- constantly monitors new system to ensure it meets company’s goal
Are you . . . ?
- interested in business and how it works?
- computer literate?
- analytical and logical?
- a team player?
- creative thinker?
- problem solver?
- a good communicator?
- a person with good leadership skills?
- a hard worker?
How do I become a Business Analyst?
There are many ways of becoming a Business Analyst. The more training you have in this competitive field the better. You want to be one step ahead of the rest.
Some start off doing a Bachelors of Science degree in Information Technology (IT). This can be done at most universities in South Africa:
- UNIVERSITY OF WITWATERSRAND
Offers a 3 year BSc degree in Computer Science
- UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Offers a Bachelor of Science (BSc) with the choice of 17 majors.
- NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
Offers the following degrees:
A 3 year BSc (Computer Science)
A 3 year BSc (Information Systems)
A 3 year BSc (Information Systems) Extended
- UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH
Offers a BSc in Mathematical Sciences. Focus: Computer Science
Here are a few examples of places you can study a diploma or certificate in Business Analysis.
- CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
Offers a 3 year or 4 year part-time National Diploma in Information Technology
- FALSE BAY COLLEGE
Offers a 3 year National Certificate Vocational qualification in Information Technology and Computer Science – made up of three certificates obtained on NQF Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- SOUTH AFRICAN COLLEGE OF BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY (Pretoria)
Offers a 1 year National Certificate (NQF 3): Information Technology (End User Computing)
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Business Analyst the right career choice for me?