Chemical Engineering Technician



OFO No: 311601





Other names for Chemical Engineer Technician:

  • Biochemical Technician
  • Catalytic Processing Technician
  • Coal Technician
  • Cosmetics Technician
  • Crude Oil Technician
  • Energy Technician


What is a Chemical Engineering Technician?

Chemical Engineering is concerned with the manufacture of chemicals on an industrial scale. 

Does a career in chemical research interest you? Why not consider becoming a Chemical Engineering Technician.  This involves working alongside chemical engineers on the research, development and manufacture of products, such as plastics, fertilisers, medicines, foods, textiles and fuel.

As a Chemical Engineering Technician, employment is possible in most areas of process engineering. You could be involved in research and development, design and construction of chemical processing plants, or in plant operations and maintenance.

What does a Chemical Engineering Technician do?

  • helps to design, build or install production plant equipment
  • carries out laboratory experiments to develop new products
  • monitors production processes using measurement and control instruments
  • records data and makes adjustments to machinery
  • carries out maintenance checks and makes repairs
  • makes sure safety procedures are followed
  • carries out quality control checks

Are you … ?

  • good at chemistry and maths?
  • a person with an understanding of engineering principles?
  • good at spoken and written communication?
  • able to understand and present scientific data?
  • a person with excellent computer skills?
  • accurate?
  • detail orientated?
  • a problem-solver?

How do I become a Chemical Engineering Technician?


National Diploma in Chemical Engineering

  • Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT)
  • Durban University of Technology (DUT)
  • Mangosutho University of Technology (MUT)
  • Tshwane University of Technology (TUT)
  • University of Johannesburg (UJ)
  • University of SA (UNISA)
  • Vaal University of Technology (VUT)


National Diploma in Chemical Engineering

  • 2 Years workplace experience (register as Candidate Engineering Technician with ECSA)
  • Professional Review (apply for registration as a Professional Engineering Technician after review has taken place)


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.




OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Chemical Engineer or Millwright

Is becoming a Chemical Engineering Technician the right choice for me?