Chemical Engineering Technologist



OFO No: 214502





Other names for Chemical Engineering Technologist:

  • Biochemical Technologist
  • Bioengineering Technologist
  • Catalytic Processing Technologist
  • Coal Technologist
  • Cosmetics Technologist
  • Crude Oil Technologist
  • Fluid Dynamics Technologist
  • Food Processing Technologist
  • Fuel Technologist
  • Hydrometallurgical Technologist
  • Petrochemicals Technologist
  • Pharmaceutical Technologist
  • Plastics Technologist
  • Process Plants Design and Erection Technologis
  • Refinery Process Engineer
  • Soil Technologist


What is a Chemical Engineering Technologist?

A Chemical Engineering Technologist researches, analyses and makes changes to to new or existing chemical engineering technologies and systems.

They can work in industries like:

  • Oil and gas
  • Explosives
  • Food and drink
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Synthetic materials etc

What does a Chemical Engineering Technologist do?

  • conducts research
  • analyses data
  • develops and modifies commercial-scale chemical systems
  • works out chemical formula
  • performs laboratory experiments
  • establishes control standards
  • follows safety procedures and develops new ones
  • designs new chemical plant equipment
  • works out budgets
  • writes reports

Are you . . .  ?

  • interested in science and chemistry?
  • safety conscious?
  • good at maths?
  • observant?
  • detail orientated?
  • a perfectionist?
  • reliable?

How do I become a Chemical Engineering Technologist?


National Diploma in Chemical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Chemical Engineering

  • Cape Peninsula University of Technology
  • Durban University of Technology
  • Mangosutho University of Technology
  • Tshwane University of Technology
  • University of Johannesburg
  • University of South Africa (UNISA)
  • Vaal University of Technology


National Diploma in Chemical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Chemical Engineering

  • 3 year workplace experience (as a registered Candidate Engineering Technologist of ECSA)
  • Professional Review under ECSA
  • Designation: Registration with ECSA so you may use the title Professional Engineering Technologist
  • Designation: NOTE: Only those registered with ECSA may use the designation Professional Engineering Technologist.


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 




OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Chemical Engineer or Chemical Engineering Technician

Is becoming a Chemical Engineering Technologist the right choice for me?