What is a Concierge?
A Concierge is a person, employed by a hotel, apartment or office building who generally meets and greets people at the front door.
A hotel Concierge should be like a walking encyclopedia of local information as they provide many services to the guests: eg. local tourist information, booking car rentals, chartering airplanes and making special travel arrangements, booking spa treatments, buying tickets to shows and sports events, recommending local restaurants and night life spots etc.
The hotel Concierge may also help guests with business orientated services like computer rentals, photocopying etc.
In very upmarket hotels, the Concierge is expected to organise and achieve ‘the impossible’ for the guests/celebrities, no matter how strange the request is.
The Concierge of an apartment or office building may also serve as a security guard and be expected to ‘do the rounds’ of the building, making sure everything is in order. This position may also require shift work.
What does a Concierge do?
- makes every guest feel like he or she is the most important person in the world
- is available and attentive to guests’ needs and requests
- sources and organises the guest’s request
- manages the request and makes sure it is delivered correctly and on time
- constantly updates themselves on local attractions, new restaurants, sports events, theatre information etc
Are you … ?
- a people-orientated person?
- service driven?
- positive and confident?
- a problem solver?
- good with stress?
- a person with good social and communication skills?
How do I become a Concierge?
Most Concierges don’t have any training but learn their skills from on-the-job training. Starting off at the customer service desk and familiarising yourself with hotel policies, the local area and what it offers (tourist information etc) is one way to start. This will help you get the necessary skills to becoming a Concierge.
If you get some training – this will also help you step ahead of the rest. This may ensure you get a job in the hospitality industry.
Here are a few examples:
- SAM HOSPITALITY ACADEMY & CONSULTING: (Gauteng)
Offers a 10 day course: Hotel Front Desk
- DRUMBEAT ACADEMY: (Pretoria)
Offers courses in Hospitality Training and in Hospitality Reception Training.
- INTERNATIONAL HOTEL SCHOOL: (Countrywide)
3-year Hospitality Management Diploma
- IHT HOTEL SCHOOL: (Durbanville)
Is becoming a Concierge the right career choice for me?