OFO No: 431102
Other names for a Cost Accounting Assistant:
Pricing Clerk / Analyst / Estimator
What is a Cost & Accounting Assistant?
Cost & Accounting Assistants usually help accountants and chartered accountants with all the financial and accounting duties for the company.
What does a Cost & Accounting Assistant do?
- collects financial data to help prepare financial reports and tax returns
- checks that financial numbers are correctly entered into computers
- makes calculations
- prepares invoices and statements
- works on accounting computer packages, databases and spreadsheets
- handles clients and suppliers account queries
Are you . . . ?
- good at mathematics?
- reliable and ethical?
- a person who pays attention to details?
- thorough and systematic?
How do I become a Cost & Accounting Assistant?
You will need some form of financial qualification or financial background. If you did well at mathematics and/or accounting at school, this will be an advantage.
You can do a National Diploma and Bachelor degree (BTech) in Cost and Management Accounting at some of the universities of technology. Some private institutions offer something similar.
You could also qualify with an accounting or finance degree or diploma. Becoming a Cost & Accounting Assistant might be your entry level job before you head off up the corporate ladder to success.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check Accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Cost & Accounting Assistant the right career choice for me?