OFO No: 325101
Other names for Dental Assistant:
Youtube clip – A look at the career of a Dental Assistant
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Dental Assistant?
A Dental Assistant’s job is to help the dentist perform efficient and safe dental procedures while they examine and treat patients.
What does a Dental Assistant do?
- meets and greets patients and put them at ease
- draws patients’ records from the filing system
- prepares patients for treatment
- passes instruments during the procedure and holds a suction device
- helps patients rinse and clean their mouths
- adjusts the light above the patient
- exposes dental radiographs
- sterilises instruments
- performs general office duties
- does stock keeping and placing orders
Are you . . . ?
- good with people?
- good at making people feel at ease?
- neat and well groomed?
- interested in dentistry?
- good at taking orders?
- a good listener?
- a person with good hand eye co-ordination?
- professional and discreet?
How do I become a Dental Assistant?
You can study to become a Dental Assistant at most universities of technology.
You will complete a 1 year National Certificate in Dental Assisting.
- TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHOLOGY
- CENTRAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- DURBAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
Minimum requirements: (each institution has their own requirements but this gives you a basic idea):
NSC with (40-49%) English, (40-49%) Maths or Maths Lit, (40-49%) in Life Sciences or Physical Science or overall equivalent. An entrance exam to be written and an interview take place.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Dental Assistant the right career choice for me?