OFO No: 321402
Other names for Dental Technician:
Youtube clip – Looking at Dental Technician careers
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Dental Technician?
Dental Technicians can also be called Dental Ceramists. They are qualified people who make and repair dental items such as dentures, bridges, crowns, fillings, braces and other orthodontic correctional devices.
Dental Technicians follow prescriptive directions from a dentist and do not deal with patients directly.
The dentist supplies the Dental Technician with drawings and measurements taken from their patient.
Dental Technology is divided into 4 main groups:
- fixed prosthesis: (crowns, bridges and implants)
- removable prosthesis: (dentures)
- maxillofacial prosthesis: (ocular and craniofacial prosthesis)
- orthodontics and auxiliaries like mouth-guards
What does a Dental Technician do?
- meets with dentist to discuss requirements
- makes desired model
- makes new items and restores old ones
- works in a laboratory
- takes measurements
- keeps records
Are you … ?
- good with your hands?
- interested in dentistry?
- able to follow directions accurately?
- able to work in 3-D?
- a person who likes detailed work?
- prepared to work overtime?
- a person with good vision?
How do I become a Dental Technician?
National Diploma in Dental Technology
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Durban University of Technology
- Tshwane University of Technology
Write an admission examination set by the SA Council for Dental Technicians
Register as at Dental Technician with HPCSA. Only registered members may use the title Dental Technician behind their name.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- SADA: South African Dental Association
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
Is becoming a Dental Technician the right career choice for me?