OFO No: 321109
What is Dialysis?
Dialysis in a procedure that patients with kidney problem have to go through. This procedure done with a specialised machine that purifies the blood. Without this procedure, the patient would probably die.
What is a Dialysis Technician?
A Dialysis Technician is a trained professional who sets up and operates the haemodialysis machine. This is a very responsible job.
What does a Dialysis Technician do?
- meets with patient
- discusses the dialysis process with the patient
- makes sure the patient understands and is relaxed
- sets up the haemodialysis machine
- follows doctor’s prescription
- connects the patient to the machine
- monitors patient and makes adjustments and records the data
- keeps up to date notes
Are you . . . ?
- a good communicator?
- responsible and reliable?
- detail orientated?
How do I become a Dialysis Technician?
National Diploma in Clinical Technology
- Central University of Technology
- Durban University of Technology
- Tshwane University of Technology
Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Clinical Technology
- At the same institutions
Designation: Only those registered with the HPCSA may use the title Dialysis Technician
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- HPCSA: Health Professions Council of South Africa
Is becoming a Dialysis Technician the right career choice for me?