What is a Diamond Cutter?
A Diamond Cutter is a trained and skilled artisan who takes a rough diamond and ‘cuts’ it into a faceted shape and polishes it into a beautifully, sparkly diamond.
A Diamond Cutter seriously enhances the value of the stone by doing this.
It’s a very responsible job as a small mistake can actually ruin an expensive stone.
Most diamonds are cut according to a variety of standard faceted designs but there are some which require custom-cuts. These ones require a lot of mathematics to work out all the ‘faces’ of the custom-cut design.
What does a Diamond Cutter do?
- being able to look ‘into’ a rough diamond and seeing its potential as a cut gem
- checking for any flaws
- deciding which faceted shape would enhance the diamond
- accurately sawing and cutting the diamond into this shape
- girdling the diamond: rubbing 2 diamonds together to create the facet (flat face)
- cooling down the diamond after girdling an washing it
- polishing the diamond
- determining the 4 ‘c’s’: colour, cut, clarity and carat size which determines its final value
Are you … ?
- passionate about diamonds?
- passionate about the jewellery business?
- good with your hands?
- detail orientated?
- a person who takes pride in their work?
- extremely accurate and precise?
- responsible and reliable?
- a person with good eyesight?
How do I become a Diamond Cutter?
Due to the fact that diamonds are extremely valuable and it takes very precise training – there are only a handful institutions that offer diamond cutting courses.
Here are a few you could contact:
- HARRY OPPENHEIMER DIAMOND TRAINING SCHOOL: (Johannesburg)
- AFRICAN MINERAL COLLEGE:
Offers a variety of accredited and licensed diamond courses:
- CORLIA ROBERS DIAMOND EDUCATION COLLEGE:
- DIAMOND EDUCATION COLLEGE: (Johannesburg)
Is becoming a Diamond Cutter the right career choice for me?
See below for more info.