OFO No: 265901
What is an Entertainer?
An Entertainer is a person, such as a singer, dancer, acrobat, comedian, hypnotist, magician, poetry reader, etc etc whose job is to entertain others.
An Entertainer can work for a company (eg theatre group, circus, hotel, cruise ship, etc) or for themselves doing one-man performances either in theatres, offices, on the street as buskers etc etc.
What does an Entertainer do?
- continually practices their skill and makes it better: singing, juggling, writing jokes, dancing etc
- meets with clients who might like to hire them
- negotiates a package
- designs/prepares routine for a performance
- designs or orders appropriate costume/s
- organises props if necessary
- finds an assistant if necessary
- manages a diary of your bookings, practice schedules
- organises travel and accommodation
Are you … ?
- skilled with an amazing talent: singing, joke telling, dancing etc?
- a hard worker?
- healthy? Can you perform day in and day out for long periods of a time?
- able to travel and stay away from home for long periods of a time?
- able to work unusual hours?
How do I become an Entertainer?
To work as a street performer (busker) one does not need a lot of training but you will need a bucket-load of talent and confidence.
If you are a good singer, for instance, and have a large collection of songs you can sing, you might be able to get a job as a lounge singer in a hotel or club.
If you are considering a career as a stand-up comedian you will find experience if you attend comedy clubs. Some of these clubs will allow new performers a 5-10 minute slot to practice their material. As you become more popular, the time slots will increase until you have your own one-man show.
Obviously, training will always be good and those skilling themselves with appropriate diplomas and degrees will have an added advantage. There are numerous colleges and private institutions that offer courses.
Here are a few specialised ones:
- THE ZIP ZAP CIRCUS
Provides FREE circus and performing arts training for youth from all walks of life
- THE WATERFRONT THEATRE SCHOOL
- THE COLLEGE OF MAGIC
Offers courses in magic
Minimum requirements: It seems there is no specific requirement required besides the love of magic.
Youtube clip of the greatest entertainers of all time:
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming an Entertainer the right career choice for me?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
NOTE: Becoming a full-time Entertainer is not easy – it takes loads of talent and a bucket-load of ambition and patience. A lot of Entertainers have another job to bring in their bread-and-butter while they perfect their ‘entertaining skill’.
Once they have regular work, they then drop their other job and become a full-time Entertainer.