OFO No: 264202
Other names for Fashion Editor:
- Newspaper or Periodical Editor
- Associate Editor
- Editorial Administrator
- Features Editor
- Legal Editor
- Magazine Designer
- News Editor
- Pictures Editor
- Programme Editor
- Publications Advisor
- Publications Editor
- Publications Officer
- Technical Editor
- Website / Blog Editor
What is a Fashion Editor?
If the idea of fashion and creativity excite you – why not think of becoming a Fashion Editor. This job may be perfect for you!
A Fashion Editor’s career is filled with glamour and lots of hard work!
- They are always deadline driven and work tirelessly to bring new faces, fashion styles and trends to the public’s attention.
- Fashion Editors usually work for magazines and are responsible for the content, creation and layout and presentation of fashion-specific articles and photographs for the magazine.
- They can also work for websites, newspapers or television shows.
- Fashion Editors may specialise in a particular field such as: clothing, accessories, beauty and make-up etc or in some cases – work in all these fields.
- Well known Fashion Editors wield huge influence on the world of style and, therefore, can make or break an up and coming designer’s career.
What does a Fashion Editor do?
- constantly researches new fashion trends
- guides the direction of a publication in terms of clothing, accessories and shoes etc
- supervises writers or writes articles themselves
- formulates and styles fashion photo shoots
- chooses photos for publication
- makse sure design layout is eye-catching and appropriate
- networks with industry professionals like designers, photographers, trend-setters etc
- attendsfashion and trade shows
Are you … ?
- passionate about fashion?
- a person with a good sense of colour and design?
- a good writer?
- computer literate?
- able to delegate?
- able to meet deadlines?
- able to work well under pressure?
- detail orientated?
How do I become a Fashion Editor?
Most Fashion Editors either come with a background in fashion or graphic design.
You may start your career as a Fashion Editor – first, as a junior layout artist or an assistant to an established Fashion Editor.
You would gain experience through these positions and eventually, after many years experience, work your way up into the position of Fashion Editor.
National Certificate in Editing and Document Design
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Fashion Editor the right career choice for me?