What is a Flying Squad Official?
The Flying Squad Official provides a quick response to priority, serious and violent crimes in progress in an attempt to apprehend the suspect and to limit possible further danger to the victim.
What does a Flying Squad Official do?
- stabilizes the crime scene
- arrests suspects
- protectsand secures the crime scene before the arrival of the investigating officer
- provides visible policing by means of vehicle patrols
- assists in crime prevention
- servse as back up during policing of major events
- attends to suicide scenes
Are you … ?
- interested in crime, law and order?
- emotionally strong?
- able to see and deal with violent crime scenes?
- a person with an eye for detail?
- a team player?
How do I become a Flying Squad Official?
What are the minimum requirements to become a Flying Squad Official?
- Two years functional policing experience is a recommendation, but not a prerequisite. Code 08 drivers licence, must fit competency profile, must be medically fit and completed Tactical Training level I and II.
- Emergency life support and advanced defensive driving training. Further training includes Tactical Refresher Course.
Where can you be stationed?
- The Flying Squad in the South African Police Service.
Information supplied by SAPS.
Is becoming a Flying Squad Official the right career choice for me?