OFO No: 611303
Other names for Greenskeeper:
Golf Course Superintendent
What is a Greenskeeper?
A Greenskeeper is a specialised ‘gardener’ who generally works on golf courses.
Golf courses need very specialised care.
There are so many areas that the Greenskeeper has to look after:
- The large expansive lawns (fairways) need to be cared for and mowed
- Ponds / Streams
- Fertilising / Pesticides
- Flags & Markers etc
What does a Greenskeeper do?
- constantly monitors the whole golf course
- checks for damage, pests, etc
- mows the fairways (or monitors staff)
- rakes bunkers
- removes weeds
- checks the irrigation is working efficiently
- removes trash from ponds
- checks flags are in good order and in the right holes
- checks for alien vegetation or pests or disease and treats accordingly
- plants new plants or grass
- makes changes to course, when required
- trims tree branches
- prepares course for matches
- repairs golf course after storm damage
Are you . . . ?
- interested in a mainly outdoor career?
- interested in plants and nature?
- willing to work in all weather conditions?
- reliable and responsible?
- a team player?
- a person with ‘green’ fingers?
- hard working?
How do I become a Greenskeeper?
There are many paths to becoming a Greenskeeper:
- Work alongside a professional Groundskeeper and learn through work experience
- Study landscaping or horticulture
- Work at a golf club and get work experience and skills
- Some place will offer short courses on Greenkeeping:
- CLICK HERE: SAQA – Assist in the Greenkeeping of Golf Course Maintenance
- THE TURF GRASS MANAGERS ASSOCIATION (TGMA)
- SILVERLAKES GOLF ACADEMY
International Greenkeeping Qualification (full time)
http://www.silverlakes.co.za/golf-club/golf-academy (click on Full Time Curriculum)
Is becoming a Greenskeeper the right career choice for me?