What is a Greeting Card Illustrator?
Greeting Card Illustrators produce illustrations which are used on greeting cards. Illustrators are responsible for coming up with original ideas.
Greeting card illustrators can either:
- produce illustrations to match a text for a specific type of card or
- a text can be written for a specific illustration
They can work for large design companies, for example: Hallmark, small in-house design studios or even be self-employed.
Self employed Greeting Card Ilustrators produce their own range of cards which can either be hand made or commercially printed. These they will sell at markets or in stores.
Greeting Card Illustrators must be able to illustrate a variety of different subjects, for example: cartoons, landscapes, flowers or religious scenes etc.
Greeting cards are made for many occasions: birthdays, get-engagements & weddings, farewells, sympathies etc.
Most Greeting Card Illustrators are extremely talented and prefer to render (draw and paint) the picture by hand. Some Illustrators will work on the computer.
What does a Greeting Card Illustrator do?
- discusses brief with client or design team
- sketches for ideas
- renders the final piece of artwork for print
- researches art and card trends
- works to deadlines
Are you … ?
- very creative?
- a good drawer?
- able to paint and colour-in?
- good with colour?
- a person with a variety of art techniques under your belt?
- deadline driven?
How do I become a Greeting Card Illustrator?
Firstly – you could start your career at school by learning as many art techniques as possible through art and design subjects. If you fall in love with drawing and you’re good at it, maybe a career as an Illustrator would suit you!
From school you could begin by making your own cards from home and selling them at a local market or you could go to design school.
A background in Graphic Design or Fine Art would be extremely advantageous.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Greeting Card Illustrator the right career choice for me?