OFO No: 4224
What is a Hotel / Resort Receptionist?
A Hotel/Resort Receptionist is the first person guests speak to at the establishment.
They work at the front desk and make sure that all the guests’ needs are taken care of.
They make sure, too, that guests are made to feel welcome at all times.
Most hotels or resorts require a high school certificate or equivalent, though some may have higher education in this field.
What does a Hotel / Resort Receptionist do?
- meets and greet guests and making them feel welcome
- answers the phone and takes reservations
- maintains records of bookings and has a good filing system
- maintains a neat and tidy work area
- assigns rooms to guests and explains check-out times and meals etc
- draws up the guest bills and takes payments
- assisst guests where necessary
Are you … ?
- interested in the hospitality industry?
- a people’s person?
- polite, friendly and positive?
- neat and professional?
- organised and methodical?
- able to read and write?
- good at mathematics?
- computer literate?
- caring and helpful?
- able to speak more than one language? This would be advantageous!
- a person with a good, clear speaking voice?
How do I become a Hotel / Resort Receptionist?
Most Hotel Receptionists have some form of hospitality or relevant admin qualification.
Hotel Receptionists are specialised receptionists. Some have studied their qualification through a hotel school.
Check with various hotel schools and other training institutions for different courses.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Learnership – Hospitality Reception Level 4
Certificate in Guesthouse Management
Higher Certificate in Hospitality Management
Advanced Certificate in Hospitality Management
Diploma in Hospitality Management
Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Hospitality Management
Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management
Bachelor degree in Hospitality Management
Is becoming a Hotel / Resort Receptionist the right career choice for me?