What is a Machine Technician?
Machine Technicians often serve as machinists or mechanical engineering technicians. Machinists fabricate, operate and repair machines and machine tools.
This job includes setting up machines and repairing faults that may arise.
If you think of yourself as a mechanical person with good practical skills, then a career as a Mechanical Technician may be for you!
What does a Machine Technician do?
- installs new machines
- maintains and repairs machines
- assembles and fits components for machinery
- makes sure machine functioning properly
- monitors machinery and repairs faults
- builds better machines
Are you … ?
- hard working?
- mechanically and technically minded?
- a person with good hand-eye co-ordination?
- mathematically minded?
- interested in engineering?
How do I become a Machine Technician?
Some Further Education and Training Colleges (FET) may offer programmes for specific Trade or Skills Set for would-be cable machine technicians.
We advise contacting these institutions directly.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Several community colleges and technical schools offer 2-4-year apprenticeship programs for prospective machinists.
Apprentice machinists may expect a mix of hands-on training, classroom instruction and paid study under master machinists.
- EASTCAPE TRAINING CENTRE
A National Certificate in Machine Engineering
- VUSELELA COLLEGE
A certificate and diploma is offered in mechanical engineering.
- CTC COLLIERY TRAINING COLLEGE
A Fitting and Machining course is offered where training takes place in 3 phases
Minimum requirements: N1 or Senior Certificate with Mathematics and Physical Science as recommended subjects
Is becoming a Machine Technician the right career choice for me?