Youtube clip – Meet Gerald Davidson – Mosaic Artist
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
Watch Mosaic Artists in Action
What is a Mosaic Artist?
A Mosaic Artist is very creative. A Mosaic Artist creates, usually colourful images and pieces of art from small or broken pieces of glass, stones, tiles, ceramics, metal, mirrors and beads etc.
Ancient Greeks, Romans and Christians used mosaic art to decorate their temples and churches. It was used to decorate walls and floors. Some Mosaic Artists specialise and work to restore ancient pieces of mosaic artwork.
Mosaic art can be both functional (used art) or decorative (looks pretty).
Some things that Mosaic Artists would do:
- Decorative walls and floors
- Table tops
- Bird baths
- Almost every surface could be decorated by a Mosaic Artist
What does a Mosaic Artist do?
- finds inspirations and sketches out layouts and designs
- collects materials to use in mosaic design (tiles, glass, beads, mirrors etc)
- breaks or cut pieces to suit design
- lays pieces out to fit design and glue down
- allows to dry before grouting , then seal it
- meets and greets clients and get orders
- invoices clients
- constantly looks for ‘materials’ to use in mosaics
- advertises their work to get new work
Are you . . . ?
- design orientated?
- good with your hands and fingers?
- like working with colour?
- willing to work on your own?
How do I become a Mosaic Artist?
Some Mosaic Artists are self taught. Their hobby becomes their career.
There are plenty of places you can do short courses and from there, you can experiment and do your own art and mosaics.
- SPIER ARTS ACADEMY
Offers a 3 year, full time FREE (full bursary) Apprenticeship in Mosaics
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Mosaic Artist the right career choice for me?