OFO No: 321301
Other names for Pharmacist Technician:
Youtube clip – The Career of a Pharmacist Technician
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Pharmacist Technician?
Pharmacist Technicians (or Pharmacist Assistants) are on the ‘SCARCE & CRITICAL SKILLS LIST’.
Pharmacist Technicians usually work in a pharmacy and are mainly responsible for dispensing medicines under the careful supervision of a qualified pharmacist. They may be required to do a number of other tasks too. (see below)
What does a Pharmacist Technician do?
- assists pharmacist at all times
- packages tablets, capsules and other medicines into boxes or plastic containers
- types up medicine container labels for patients
- stocktakes and orders stock
- decants antiseptics, disinfectants and other liquids into smaller containers when required
- updates new medicine info on computer
- helps keeping shelves stocked, neat and tidy
- assists store displays
Are you . . . ?
- interested in the medical industry?
- a people’s person?
- trustworthy and accurate?
- responsible and accurate?
- hard working?
- willing to do overtime?
How do I become a Pharmacist Technician?
You will need a qualification.
For courses etc …. visit the
- SOUTH AFRICAN PHARMACY COUNCIL (SAPC)
CLICK HERE – Then click on ‘For Professionals’ – Then click on ‘Education’
- Learnership – Basic Level Pharmacist Assistance
- Register with the SAPC
- 12 months in service training at a pharmacy
- Competency assessment of work experience by an accredited provider
- Register as a Pharmacist Assistant Basic
- Designation: Once fully qualified, you may use the title: Pharmacist Assistant Basic
- Complete STEP 1
- Learnership – Post Basic Level Pharmacist Assistance NQF Level 4
- 12 months (min) in service training at a pharmacy and approved by the SAPC
- Register with the SAPC as a Pharmacist’s Assistant Learner Post Basic
- Designation: Once fully qualified, you may use the title: Pharmacist Assistant Post Basic
- CLICKS PHARMACY HEALTHCARE ACADEMY
Offers accredited courses:
We often have Clicks Pharmacist Assistant Learnerships on our website.
Visit our website often to find one in your area. CLICK HERE
- SAQA: SOUTH AFRICAN QUALIFICATION AUTHORITY
CLICK HERE for the Pharmacist Assistant’s qualifications
Is becoming a Pharmacist Assistant the right career choice for me?