OFO No: 265601
Youtube clip: Day in the life of a Radio Announcer
What is a Radio / Television Announcer?
In South Africa, Announcers on radio, television and other media read the news, conduct interviews, and make other announcements.
They can also introduce performing artists at theatres, night clubs and other venues as well as making other related announcements.
What does a Radio / Television Announcer do?
- talks with radio or television stage manager or director
- reads through and understanding the material
- practices the correct pronunciation of article
- arrives on time
- delivers piece clearly and correctly
- researches background material of artists/celebrities one is going to ‘announce’ or interview
- prepares questionnaires for interviews
Are you … ?
- up-to-date on current events?
- up-to-date on celebrities?
- good speaking voice?
- voice clear?
- good literacy skills?
How do I become a Radio / Television Announcer?
A diploma or degree in journalism will prepare you for a job as an Announcer. Some universities and colleges provide this. For example:
- RHODES UNIVERSITY: (which is regarded as one of the best for Journalism)
Offers numerous courses: eg a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree majoring in Journalism and Media Studies (a 3 year qualification), or the Bachelor of Journalism and Media Studies degree (BJourn).
Minimum requirements: Students are required to have between 30 and 35 points based on the National Senior Certificate.
School subjects: Students should have English Language (as Home or Additional Language) and another language, both at rating 4 or above.
- NATIONAL DIPLOMAS IN JOURNALISM
Universities of Technology offering the National Diploma in Journalism are:
- Durban University of Technology
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Cape Peninsula of Technology
- Tswane University of Technology
There are short courses, but these do not offer the depth of a university course.
- ROSEBANK COLLEGE
A 2 year Diploma in Journalism
Minimum requirements: National Senior Certificate where the minimum requirements for admission to a higher certificate for higher education has been met.
- PRETORIA TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Certificate in Media & Journalism
Minimum requirements: Grade 12
- CITY VARSITY
Film & Television & Multimedia School
- BOSTON HOUSE COLLEGE
Diploma in Journalism and Media Studies
1 year certificate course in TV and Radio Presenting
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Radio / Television Announcer the right career choice for me?