Youtube clip of a Stained Glass Artist in action!
What is a Stained Glass Artist?
A Stained Glass Artist is a person who designs and creates pieces of art out of coloured glass that would replace a normal window. The light coming through the colour glass creates a beautiful and unusual piece of art.
The most common place to find stained glass in the windows of a church. However, these days, Stained Glass Artists have become quite fashionable and are designing and making items for residential and office spaces, for example: lamp shades, internal doors, internal walls, or just pieces of fine art made up in coloured glass that can be hung on a wall or stand freely as a sculpture.
What does a Stained Glass Artist do?
- discusses brief with the client/organisation
- studies the shape and position of where the item will go
- makes sketches for the client
- makes a full size working pattern/template
- cuts the glass according to the pattern
- assembles all the piece glass in the right position
- paints or stainis glass then fires it to ‘fix’ colours
- instals the completed piece
Are you … ?
- good with your hands?
- passionate about becoming a ‘glass’ artist?
- a good drawer?
- good with colour?
- detail orientated?
How do I become a Stained Glass Artist?
- NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
Is the only institution in SA which offers formal training in stained glass.
Here are a few private places where you can learn the skills of becoming a Stained Glass Artist:
- STAINED GLASS ACADEMY: (Bloemfontein)
- DR ART GLASS STUDIO: (Calitzdorp)
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Stained Glass Artist the right career choice for me?