OFO No: 265401
Other names for Television Director:
What is a Television Director?
A Television Director is the person responsible for co-ordinating and overseeing every aspect of making a television programme.
They are involved from the very start to the finish.
A Television Director will play an active role in casting right through to the final editing.
Examples of television programmes:
- the news
- movies for tv
- reality programmes etc
What does a Television Director do?
- coordinates writers, directors, managers throughout the production process
- monitors post-production processes
- performs management including budgeting, scheduling, planning and marketing
- composes and edits scripts
- provides screenwriters with story outlines from which scripts can be written
- conducts meetings with staff to discuss production progress
- resolves personnel problems
- produces shows for special occasions, for example christmas holidays
- edits and writes news stories from information collected by journalists/reporters
- submits proposals to bid on contracts
Are you … ?
- an out-the-box, creative thinker?
- visually aware?
- a peoples’ person?
- a good manager?
- a multi-tasker?
- deadline driven?
- able to deal with stress?
How do I become a Television Director?
Many Television Directors have worked their way up through the ranks of television. They have spent years and years collecting skills and a better understanding of every aspect of television.
This collection of experience is worth a ton of gold. They will be more empathic to the rest of the people working on set as they will completely understand each and every job.
A good education is, however, a definite advantage. A large number of colleges and other training providers offer Film, Media and Television Production courses that may provide a suitable background.
By studying, you may jump ahead of the rest and reach the position of Television Director quite early on.
Certificate in Radio Station Operations
Certificate in Film and Television Production
Diploma in Film and Television Production
Diploma in Drama
Bachelor of Technology in Film and Television Production (BTech)
Bachelor of Film and Television Production
Bachelor of Drama
Here are a few examples:
- BIG FISH SCHOOL OF DIGITAL FILM MAKING
- TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG
- AUTEUR FILM SCHOOL
- CENTRE FOR FILM AND MEDIA STUDIES
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Television Director the right career choice for me?