OFO No: 265412
What is a Television Producer?
A TV Producer plans and organises all aspects of a television production. They need to know exactly what the audience wants.
They can’t take chances as a bad programme is very bad for business and companies will not advertise during those bad programmes. The better the quality the programme – the more advertisers will be interested which means the more they can charge advertising agencies to air their ads. In the end, the television company will make more money.
So it’s all about ratings!
The TV Producer watches a lot of television to:
- get an idea of customer interests
- see what their competitors are screening
- getting ideas
- assess industry standards
What does a TV Producer do?
- commissions screen writers to write a script
- evaluates scripts
- coordinates various aspects of production, for example camera work, audio, scenes, music, etc
- manages all aspects of the production, for example: costumes, props, music etc
- views taped programmes
- reviews budgets and expenditures
- is in charge of marketing material
Are you … ?
- visually aware?
- a peoples’ person?
- a good manager and marketer?
- a multi-tasker?
- deadline driven?
- able to deal with stress?
How do I become a Television Producer?
Many Television Producers have worked their way up through the ranks of television. They have spent years and years collecting skills and a better understanding of every aspect of television. This collection of experience is worth a ton of gold.
They will be more empathic to the rest of the people working on set as they will completely understand each and every job.
A good education is, however, a definite advantage. A large number of colleges and other training providers offer Film, Media and Television Production courses that may provide a suitable background. A head for business or training in business studies would also be advantageous.
By studying, you may jump ahead of the rest and reach the position of Television Producer quite early on.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
A film school which offers courses and degrees in all aspect of film making.
- BIG FISH SCHOOL OF DIGITAL FILM MAKING
- TSHWANE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG
- AUTEUR FILM SCHOOL
- CENTRE FOR FILM AND MEDIA STUDIES
Is becoming a TV Producer the right career choice for me?