Q:I am in Grade 9. What Career Planning should I do?
A: Knowledge is power.
- You need knowledge about yourself, what you are good at and enjoy – so exploring the task below is useful to find out more about yourself.
- You need knowledge about the world of work.
The most important thing is that at the end of this year you have to choose subjects. Which subjects you should choose, depends on your career choice. Here is a list of industries where you could work. It covers almost the whole of the work world
- The link above will take you there. If you click on one of the options you will see the careers that fall into that field. If you click on the Career title it will show you a job description with information about what it involves including how to get there.
Choose a few industries to explore – the more the better!
- Agriculture, Fishing, Farming and Forestry
- Animal Sciences
- Artisans, Trades and Technicians
- Arts, Media and Entertainment
- Business, Admin, Finance and Sales
- Construction, Engineering and Mining
- Education and Training
- Earth, Environment and Conservation
- Fashion and Beauty
- Gardening, Horticulture and Botany
- Government and Law
- Green Careers
- Historical Sciences
- IT and Telecommunications
- Medical, Health & Life Sciences
- Production and Manufacturing
- Safety, Security and Emergency Services
- Science, Technology and Mathematics
- Social, Domestic and Community Services
- Sports, Sports Science and Recreation
- Tourism, Hospitality, Gaming and Lotteries
- Transport and Logistics
- Wholesale and Retail
SUBJECTS AND REQUIREMENTS:
The most important subject choice is whether you take Core Mathematics or Maths Literacy.
- If you are interested in Science, Technology, Engineering or Medicine you will need Core Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Medical careers also require Life Science.
- Accounting and Information Technology (IT) require Core Mathematics and usually Business-related topics are useful.
- English is the language of instruction at all tertiary institutions so start paying attention to your marks in that subject.
To see which subjects you can choose click on this link: